Tuesday 17 February 2009

Why Latitude is not on the level for everyone

Google Maps' new feature, Latitude, appears to be dividing those who have i-Phones and plan to use them. One person who admits he will not be taking advantage of the tracking service is JR Raphael from PC World, who wrote on his blog three very good reasons why not.
Google unveiled its new mobile location tracking service, Google Latitude, on Wednesday -- and it took me only a matter of minutes to determine it's one service I won't be using.
Google Latitude, if you haven't heard, lets you have your location monitored and shared in real time with your friends, family, or whomever you choose. Once you sign up, GPS satellites and cell towers watch your whereabouts. They pull location data from your laptop or smartphone, then pinpoint you on a pretty little Google Map as you go about your day.
While Google Latitude isn't the first mobile location tracking service to hit the market, it may be the first with the potential for mainstream and widespread adoption. Here are three reasons why I won't be hopping on the bandwagon.
1. It's just a little too friendly.
Call me old-fashioned, but I don't want every aspect of my life to be public domain - even when it comes to my close friends and family. I may be in the minority within the open book, share-it-all sentiment of the Web 2.0 world, but there's something nice about not having everyone knowing what I'm doing every minute of my day. If I run out for a quick cup of coffee, I may not want my buddy to see that I'm right around the corner from his house. If I tell someone I can't make it to dinner because I'm visiting a friend in the hospital, I don't want him to know that I'm really sitting at home eating biscuits.
2. Google already has enough dirt on me.
We've heard for years about how much Google knows about us. From cookies to calendars and crazy search queries, the G-gods probably know more about me than my own mother does. The last thing I need is Google also knowing where I am every second.
3. Who knows who could end up getting the data?
Right now, the location data from Latitude stops at Google's servers. But who's to say what agency might demand it at some point down the line?
So there you have it - the three reasons I won't be using Google Latitude. Maybe I'm overly protective of my privacy, but in an era when the verses to "Every Breath You Take" can serve as a literal description of a day, you've gotta hang on to what little you can.
Well, time to get back to work. If you need me, I'll be right here at my desk. That's my story, anyway - and, thanks to the lack of location tracking technology in my life, I'm sticking to it.
Read the whole of JR's blog here

No comments: